Family Owned & Operated Waterproof Company Since 1951

Phone: (330) 544-4280 or (330) 534-1212


Business Hours: 8:30 to 4:30 M-F. Saturdays by appt. (After hour services available)

How Does Mold Growth Affect Your Home?

Mold growth is a common occurrence in flood-damaged homes and damp environments. Mold could become a problem in your home if there is enough moisture to allow mold to thrive and multiply. Dampness in basements, walls, carpets, and wood provides an environment for mold to flourish. Mold is made up of simple microscopic organisms that are found virtually everywhere.

How do I know it's mold?

Mold is often seen in the form of discoloration in whites, oranges, greens, browns, and blacks. It also gives off a musty or earthy smell.

Health Concerns

Exposure to mold can cause health problems. Infants, children, immune-compromised patients, pregnant women, individuals with existing respiratory conditions--such as asthma, allergies, and multi-chemical sensitivity-- and the elderly appear to be at higher risk for adverse health effects from mold. Health symptoms known to be associated with exposure to mold include nose and throat irritation, wheezing, coughing, asthma attacks (in those who have asthma already), and lower respiratory tract infections (in children). People with pre-existing respiratory conditions also may be susceptible to more serious lung infections.

Stop the Water

Fix leaks in pipes and clean up any damp areas around tubs and sinks, so mold spores don't have a growing environment.

Rebuild or retrofit the flooded area with water-resistant building materials such as tile, stone, deep-sealed concrete, galvanized or stainless steel hardware, indoor/outdoor carpeting, waterproof wallboard, water-resistant glues, and so on. Prevent water seepage from outdoors into the house!It's important to have rainwater from gutters or the roof drain away from the house. The ground around your house needs to slope away to keep the basement and crawl spaces dry.

Can I be exposed to mold?

When molds are disturbed, they release spores into the air. You can be exposed to mold by breathing air containing these spores. You can also be exposed when touching moldy food or accidental hand-to-mouth contact.

How do molds affect my health?

Most molds do not harm healthy people. People with allergies or asthma, however, may be more sensitive to molds. Sensitive people may experience skin rash, running nose, eye irritation, and a cough. Symptoms can worsen nasal congestion, asthma attacks, and other difficulties breathing. People with immune suppression or underlying lung diseases may be at risk for infections from molds.

A small number of molds produce toxins called mycotoxins. When people are exposed to high levels of mycotoxins, they may suffer toxic effects including fatigue, nausea, headaches, and irritation of the lungs and eyes.

If you or your family members have health problems that you suspect are caused by exposure to mold, you should consult with your physician, and then give us a call.

paint over mold

Don't paint over mold!

Painting over mold never works. Check out what happens when you paint over mold above!


Can I control mold growth in my home?

Yes, you can! Dry out your home, and fix any outside moisture problems in your home. Stop water leaks, repair leaky roofs and plumbing. Keep water away from concrete slabs and basement walls. Open your windows and doors to increase the air flow in your home, especially along the inside of exterior walls.

Is it safe to paint over the mold?

No, don't paint or caulk over mold. The mold will grow under the paint which will cause the paint to peel. Covering the problem doesn't cure the problem.

Resources: Ohio Department of Health and the Washington State Department of Health

Don't Paint Over Mold! Mold is dangerous to your health! Mold comes in all different colors

Callow Waterproof

The first company in the area to develop, install, and guarantee an EXTERIOR SYSTEM that not only keeps your basement dry; it also prevents further water damage. Owner Craig Callow Sr. works with the crew to ensure a QUALITY installation. WE ARE OPEN YEAR-ROUND for whenever your need may arise!

Callow Waterproof inc.

1115 Olive St.
Niles OH 44446-3608

Phone: (330) 544-4280

Click for the BBB Business Review of Callow Waterproof

Connect With Us

© Callow Waterproof All rights reserved • powered by iMprivacy policy